Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Days 1 & 2


Day 1: Total spent: $0.  
Day 2: Total Spent: $0

I must admit I feel a bit like a dieter.  Instead of food I cannot eat, there are food, drinks and other junk I cannot buy.  Not that I need it, I just want it...and when I am told I can’t have it, I want it even more it...but like in the first few days of a diet, I am still thinking, "We can do this."

I spent last weekend reading Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover and I started Eric Tyson’s Personal Finance for Dummies.  I know simplicity isn’t merely about the money, but it’s somewhere to begin the practice and becoming aware..  Handling, living and working with our money is our starting point.  Both books talk about me controlling it and not it controlling me.  (And that’s about where the similarities end....Dummies talks about good debt and how to declare bankruptcy and if you’re familiar with Ramsey’s works...it does not follow that theme at all!)   

And what I am feeling and learning by reading Foster’s book on Simplicity is it’s about discipline.  As a human, an American, as a weak, sinful person...I struggle with this idea of discipline.  Perhaps struggle is too generous of a word--I just don’t like to practice it.  

So with a greater strength than my own, we’ll continue on.  

~allison

No comments:

Post a Comment